Modern History ……..2008 – 2013

Over the years the club has had many very talented members, and  hosted numerous “crafty” events.  On this tag, you will find a compilation of (abbreviated) details of the many activities undertaken by club members over this period, along with images of the remarkable end-products of their work.

All participants brought a gas cooker and a variety of natural vegetation with which to dye.  Some of the plants used included  blackberries;  Buddleia davidii (more commonly known as the “Butterfly Bush” or “Summer Lilac”); Cootamundra Wattle;  Walnut shells;  Yellow Paper Daisies;  Dead Dahlia Heads;  and Crab Apple Bark.  Pots were aluminium (a mordant in its own right) and stainless steel.  After the first round of dyeing, we then added a mordant to each pot to see how the colour changes varied. Participants kept a record of each dye process.

Linda, Claire and Rebecca getting started

Kyle and Jan shelling walnuts

Rebecca, Claire, Ruth, Lynn, Jan and Linda with the first skeins out of the wattle dye (aluminium).

Some of the finished dyed skeins

Some of the finished range of dyed skeins.

Most of the natural dyeing skeins are yellow (dahlia heads and paper daisies) through to the brown shades from the mordants.  There were differences in colour take-up between commercial and hand spun yarn.

The blues, pinks, salmon and multi-shades are from the microwave dyeing.  We discovered that Angora (Rabbit) does not like microwave dyeing – the fibre burnt and disintegrated!   Now, that was an expensive skein  – and lesson!